Skip to main content

ENCHANTED (DAY 5)

                         ENCHANTED

The colour of my brightest dreams were encrusted on my bangles

How the sunlight danced on them as they jangled


They held the laughter of my mother and my beloved grandmother

The signature of my feminity as they were laid out on a velvet laced platter


Studded with rubies, opals and exotic jade

The gold 'Kadha' heirlooms from the days gone by were custom made


Sometimes of clear glass or ceramic to go with my mood

Sparkles of light added a charm and my wrists looked quite good


Beaded with my favourite crystals rose quartz or tourmaline

Occasionally a moonstone or a vivid red carnelian 


Gold, silver or an entwined Celtic knot with gemstones

These antiques were beyond precious and sprang to life of it's own


How eye catching is an enamel, lac or stringed river stone pebbles

My collection now holds a 'Saankha Pola' made of red coral and conch shells


A tight hug from another world are my bracelets

The rich hues emanate magic from these enchanting amulets.

©️ Sangeetha Kamath

Pic Courtesy: Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAIRY ROSE AND THE THREE WISHES (DAY 5, POST 2)

While there was no dearth of dispiriting news floating around during the pandemic, this was one unexpected blow! How deeply I was mourning the passing of my former school headmistress, even as I put one more chapter to rest in the confines of my treasured memories.  I was fortunate to have 'Sister' as my headmistress in primary school. Although I feared her greatly, I was also one of those lucky few who got to see her nurturing side. She had made it a point to give me company every evening while I waited for my father to pick me up from school, which would inevitably be long after dismissal time due to his work constraints.   We're talking of the '80s here when there were no after-school facilities in my beloved hometown. I would constantly be the lone student in the portico and it meant a lot to have an authoritarian figure looking out for my safety and well-being. I was one those painfully shy nerds who by default went into the good books of the teachers and was in th...

'OWL'TASTIC

                        ' OWL' TASTIC He sits in solitude as the sun slips by Rousing from deep sleep as the moon rises high Now is his time to party and play  With a hoot of delight he's set out to catch his prey Swooping on rats and cubs of tiny critters His noiseless wings span the fields, woods and pastures Wise old owl is his title to this day Black, white or brown, they're endearing creatures so I say Keeping him as a pet is a hearts delight When they cuddle up to you in the blinding sunlight Turning his head all the way, he's powerful and elegant—an acrobat of the skies!  ©️ Sangeetha Kamath Pic Courtesy:Pixabay

TAKEN (NaNoWriMo Day 8 )

                                  TAKEN  The floor boards creaked and my footsteps echoed in the vast emptiness. Shafts of moving lights filtered through a skylight from the high ceiling. In the dim murkiness, I could only see towering silhouettes. Unrecognisable. Unidentifiable. Where was I and how did I come here? Was I in an accident or had I bumped my head, lost my memory and wandered off to this abandoned structure? I only had questions and not a single answer. I felt about in my pockets for a phone. I could do with some light in here. Luck was on my side. I turned on the flashlight and saw a litter of weathered wooden crates, soggy cardboard boxes and newspapers littering the floor.  I picked one up. The print was smudged and illegible. What on earth! It seemed to be a warehouse. Paint and plaster was peeling off the walls. Where was the door? I need to get out of here! I turned my flash...

A BRIDGE ACROSS

                            A BRIDGE ACROSS  In the floating autumn leaves that glide and fall Through the crimping mists from the valleys that roll Hobbling on rough-hewn paths and treacherous terrain I craved for solitude but in vain Under sailing summer skies, strolling along the boulevards tree lined A harbor to anchor the moiling, searched my fevered mind  Heaven spun stars were swaddled by lurching clouds No light escaped from this infinite shroud Black velvets and dark laces cocooned my inner dragon A soothing comfort was this sable, inky beacon  'Twas the kind of black where I was at peace In the protective arms of the night which painted my lovely dreams Shut out by turbid fabrics were muted hues Not a fuchsia, sepia or even diluted ecrus… Amidst monochrome shadows and metronome chatter Where was the light I wondered ! Not a tingle of frost nor a smudge of the moon I bided my time to emerge in...

GATOS MEUS QUERIDOS

Chapter 1                    Muay The Warrior Cat Muay Thai came to be called so for the feisty and spirited little thing she was, reminiscent of the intense and energetic martial art of Muay Thai . Her bold personality inspired me to give her a name that reflected her sass and vigor. Muay Thai's antics were the stuff of legends. She was a buzz of energy, always getting into mischief and mayhem. Whether she was chasing invisible bugs, leaping over furniture like an acrobat or wrestling with toys, Muay Thai was a force to be reckoned with. Her favorite pastime was "attacking" my hands and feet, using her lightning-fast reflexes and razor-sharp teeth. It was a game she loved, and one that always left me in stitches. Despite her tough-as-nails persona, Muay Thai was also a total softie at heart. She loved nothing more than curling up in my lap and purring contentedly, her eyes gleaming with adoration before snoozing into the deepest of sl...