Skip to main content

BLYTONIA UTOPIA



Enid Blyton, she evokes my childhood memories like none other. Friendships, picnic baskets, pet parrots, pet dogs, mystery, secrets and adventures. I'd read them all and at one point of time even longed to go to school at St. Clare's or Malory Towers. 

I would snub anyone who told me that these were fictional places. Such was my devotion to the goddess of children's story books. Over my school going years I collected a few, and read almost all from the local library. 
 
Decades later, I would read them anytime when I needed another world to escape into, from the harsh reality of this one. And time itself would rewind back to my own childhood when I thought that everything was 'Sunshine and Roses'.

So excessive was my fondness for Enid Blyton stories, that, during the pandemic I went around looking for books which wanted a new home. And I found plenty during my search.

There were an abundance of enthusiasts like myself who had grown their collection over the years. These books were up for sales at discounted rates. Some vintage and some out-of-print editions. 
An exchange of a few words and interaction with the sellers who were in their teens broke my heart.

They were parting with their childhood favourites in these dire times.
Should I buy them? Shouldn't I? I was in a fix. Even if I don't buy them, there would definitely be another taker...or two.

While parting ways with them with a load in my arms and double that in my heart, I assured the little ones that the books were going to a forever home where they would find a special place in my bookshelf. They would be taken care of as lovingly as they had been cherished all this time.

Once home, I had moist eyes as I held these books close to my heart 
It wasn't quite a happy day whenever I encountered deals like these; Desperate times, Desperate measures...

Everytime I open these books to read,  I see their names on the books written with their own handwriting or with printed labels and wonder how lovingly these books had  been bought for them at one point of time.

These very books had come to my rescue when the world around seemed so crippling. Life had slowly jolted to a standstill...but I? I pulled out a 'Wishing Chair Collection' hopped onto it and went on an imaginary joy ride flying through the air with 'Chinky the Pixie'. Or up a Faraway Tree or to meet the Magic Folk. 

Written in all simplicity, I still get lost in the world where nothing can ever go wrong. I can live on a farm, on a treetop, in the cabins, in the mountains, in a castle or a cloud. With a swish of a wand, I can create whatever I want to. Rainbows, sun rays, moonbeams, candies, cookies,... Happy endings too.

It's my 'Blyton'ia Utopia!

(487 words)
©️ Sangeetha Kamath
Pic Courtesy:Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1: THE JADE SHAMBHALA

This post is Chapter 1 of short story series titled The Jade Shambhala. Tasseography is as old as time. The stories in the tea leaves will leave you in a spin, while the healing tea that precedes it anchors you like gripping oak roots. Every day for the next seven days, Xiu-Ying will welcome a new traveler seeking refuge from their heavy burdens, reading their futures in the settled leaves and guiding them toward peace as the seasons shift on the ridge. Welcome to The Jade Shambhala Tea House!                               CHAPTER 1                            EARLY SPRING  Ko-San Tê Bai Mudan (White Peony and Red Dates) The morning mist in the rolling hills of the 1980s Taiwanese countryside did not rise; it dissolved, burning away into thin silver threads under the persistent warmth of the early spring sun.  The Yun-Shan Ridge grew f...

FINALE: THE JADE SHAMBHALA

                                                      FINALE             The Gift of the North Wind The morning sun over the Yun Shan Ridge always arrived with a slow, quiet patience, filtering through the thick pine needles until the mountain mist glowed like pale green silk.  Inside the Jade Shambhala Tea House, the iron kettle was just beginning to hum over the hot charcoal embers. Lin Xiu-Ying sat at the long wooden counter, her hands wrapped around a warm clay cup, listening to the stillness of the forest. Three winters ago on a night when the mountain was locked in a fierce, unyielding blizzard, the wind and the sea had their own ideas. ***** She didn't choose to board that trading merchant boat down in the southern spice ports. She was just a tiny, silver-white kitten, shivering behind a stack of cinnamon crates...

THE BIG BAD WOLF( DAY 17, LETTER T)

                          CHAPTER 16                    THE BIG BAD WOLF  The pigs snarled like proper rascals, fixing their cold steely eyes on the Wolf's cottage. How dare he refuse to part with his cottage! When the pigs demand, it's given to them---no questions asked! Porkinn limped, Baconne was soggy, Swinedell rubbed a sore bump on his head, but they were far from defeated. Swinedell snorted, a crooked grin spreading across his face. "Wolf thinks 'e's posh, don't 'e? " Baconne sniffed the air, his nostrils flaring. "We want the cottage!” He growled. Porkinn cracked his fingers, his sly glance darting about.  The pigs crept towards the back door, their footsteps silent on the soft grass. They spotted the Wolf through the kitchen window, stirring a pot of steaming stew for dinner. They kicked the door in, the wood splintering jaggedly. The latch gave in....

CHAPTER 2: THE JADE SHAMBHALA

      This is a part of a short story series titled The Jade Shambhala. 7 days, 7 stories, 7 different exotic tea blends from the Far East and unique tea leaves reading for each. Welcome to the tea house!                             CHAPTER 2                      LUNAR NEW YEAR          Kim-huan Tê ( Golden Lily Oolong) The early spring air hanging over Sian-Phô village was heavy, smelling faintly of spent sulfur from the Lunar New Year firecrackers and the cold, sharp scent of wet pine needles.  Up on the Yun-Shan Ridge, the festive red lanterns hanging from the eaves of the low wooden cottages were damp and water-logged, their brilliant scarlet dye bleeding slowly into the persistent gray mountain mist. The holiday had just ended, and while the rest of the village was settling into the quiet hope of a new agricultural...

RUTHLESS REVELATIONS (DAY 16, LETTER R)

                            CHAPTER 15                RUTHLESS REVELATIONS The Three Little Pigs stood triumphant in the whimsical cottage's living room, surrounded by mismatched furniture and waltzing dust motes. Baconne , Porkinn , and Swinedell grinned at each other, puffing out their chests like gangsters. Baconne swaggered closer to the makeshift bar. "You know," he said, stroking his shoulder, "the Big Bad Wolf wasn't so bad after all, was he?" His grin split wide, showing a gold-capped tooth. The pigs snorted, their belly laughs vibrating the chandeliers above. Swinedell poured three tiny glasses of wild truffle liqueur with a theatrical flourish. "Cheers to us!" he growled, hoisting a glass. "We wanted his posh cottage for ourselves. Wolfie mutt was just defending his pad." His eyes glinted like cheap jewels. Goldwynn's face paled. She stammered as she whispered, " Wha...