Skip to main content

SHAZAM!




Prompt: A message from an unknown number leads to a shocking revelation! Write a story in 200 words in a chat format.

ENTRY 1: SHAZAM! 

Unknown: Shazam !

Jasmine: Ha! Look who's here! Remembered me after a lifetime…

Unknown: This is a new number, Jaz. I was unable to attend your wedding. Heard you were back in town, so texted you. 

Jasmine: Where were you all this while, Rachel? I had called you several times in these past few months

Unknown: I was buried deep in work, Jaz. Shall we meet? I can't talk right now.

Jasmine: Of course, tell me where.

Unknown: Bring along your Jon and all our pals too. Let's all meet together.

Jasmine: How exciting! Say when.

Unknown: Tomorrow at noon. 'Cottage By The Lake, No.33'. Don't tell him just yet, let it be a surprise.

Jasmine: Let his eyes pop out when he sees my stunning bestie. 

Unknown: Let's have some fun too like the good old times and play treasure hunt. Bring  along a shovel. 

Jasmine: That's my girl!

Unknown:The first task is to find the clue buried under the Oak tree right outside the cottage.

***

Jasmine: Jon! Why are you so pale?...

***Screams in horror…weeps hysterically***

A skeleton is unearthed with a phone labelled 'Jon' between it's bony fingertips! Rachel had reached out for justice from the other side. 

(Word count: 200)

                ********************

            ENTRY 2: I SEE YOU!

Unknown: Rose of Sharon! 

Sharon: Who are you? I think you've the wrong number

Unknown: I don't think so. How can you forget me so soon?

Sharon: I don't have time for these juvenile games. Reveal your identity, else..

Unknown: Think, Sharon. Only I called you Rose of Sharon.

Sharon: Philip…?

Unknown: You break my heart…

Sharon: I still think you've got the wrong number 

Unknown: I'm standing outside your house right now! 

Sharon: I'm looking out and I don't see you. You've got the wrong house too!

Unknown: I see you, Sharon. You're in a pastel blue dress with summer flower prints

Sharon: This is getting creepy, mister! 

Unknown: I still love you, although from afar. But you've completely forgotten about me. Well, Happy Birthday to you.

Sharon: How do you know it's my birthday today?

Unknown: I know it because you drove me to take my own life on this day last year after humiliating me for attending your party. You and your gang of bullies !!

Sharon: What the…wait.. Charlie??? But how can you.. you're...I mean Charlie's dead!


The phone pings and a picture is received with Sharon's back to the camera looking out of her window. 

(Word count: 200)

Pic Courtesy: Pixabay

©️ Sangeetha Kamath 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'OWL'TASTIC

                        ' OWL' TASTIC He sits in solitude as the sun slips by Rousing from deep sleep as the moon rises high Now is his time to party and play  With a hoot of delight he's set out to catch his prey Swooping on rats and cubs of tiny critters His noiseless wings span the fields, woods and pastures Wise old owl is his title to this day Black, white or brown, they're endearing creatures so I say Keeping him as a pet is a hearts delight When they cuddle up to you in the blinding sunlight Turning his head all the way, he's powerful and elegant—an acrobat of the skies!  ©️ Sangeetha Kamath Pic Courtesy:Pixabay

FAIRY ROSE AND THE THREE WISHES (DAY 5, POST 2)

While there was no dearth of dispiriting news floating around during the pandemic, this was one unexpected blow! How deeply I was mourning the passing of my former school headmistress, even as I put one more chapter to rest in the confines of my treasured memories.  I was fortunate to have 'Sister' as my headmistress in primary school. Although I feared her greatly, I was also one of those lucky few who got to see her nurturing side. She had made it a point to give me company every evening while I waited for my father to pick me up from school, which would inevitably be long after dismissal time due to his work constraints.   We're talking of the '80s here when there were no after-school facilities in my beloved hometown. I would constantly be the lone student in the portico and it meant a lot to have an authoritarian figure looking out for my safety and well-being. I was one those painfully shy nerds who by default went into the good books of the teachers and was in th...

TAKEN (NaNoWriMo Day 8 )

                                  TAKEN  The floor boards creaked and my footsteps echoed in the vast emptiness. Shafts of moving lights filtered through a skylight from the high ceiling. In the dim murkiness, I could only see towering silhouettes. Unrecognisable. Unidentifiable. Where was I and how did I come here? Was I in an accident or had I bumped my head, lost my memory and wandered off to this abandoned structure? I only had questions and not a single answer. I felt about in my pockets for a phone. I could do with some light in here. Luck was on my side. I turned on the flashlight and saw a litter of weathered wooden crates, soggy cardboard boxes and newspapers littering the floor.  I picked one up. The print was smudged and illegible. What on earth! It seemed to be a warehouse. Paint and plaster was peeling off the walls. Where was the door? I need to get out of here! I turned my flash...

GATOS MEUS QUERIDOS

Chapter 1                    Muay The Warrior Cat Muay Thai came to be called so for the feisty and spirited little thing she was, reminiscent of the intense and energetic martial art of Muay Thai . Her bold personality inspired me to give her a name that reflected her sass and vigor. Muay Thai's antics were the stuff of legends. She was a buzz of energy, always getting into mischief and mayhem. Whether she was chasing invisible bugs, leaping over furniture like an acrobat or wrestling with toys, Muay Thai was a force to be reckoned with. Her favorite pastime was "attacking" my hands and feet, using her lightning-fast reflexes and razor-sharp teeth. It was a game she loved, and one that always left me in stitches. Despite her tough-as-nails persona, Muay Thai was also a total softie at heart. She loved nothing more than curling up in my lap and purring contentedly, her eyes gleaming with adoration before snoozing into the deepest of sl...

CHAPTER 5: THE JADE SHAMBHALA

                              CHAPTER 5                        TYPHOON OLEA The window shutters started swinging in the light breeze at first. Xiu Ying stopped eating for a heartbeat and listened intently. Down below where the garden path led to the valley roads, the trees were speaking. The wind was more intense there as it rocked the branches and she could hear faint noises of a couple of branches cracking and falling with a thud. She dropped her chopsticks and called out to Moon Glow in a panic.  "Sim bu bu! Moonie Boo! Where are you, paopei! Come to mama quick. Here girl...tch tch tch". She rattled her snack tin to get her attention even as her heart was beating outside of her chest.  Oh that idiot! where is she! Xiu was perspiring and a cold sweat ran down behind her neck.  MOON GLOW!  Out crawled a sleepy kitten from under the c...