Skip to main content

OLIVER OPOSSUM

 


                   OLIVER OPOSSUM 

"Oliver, son, you'll be late for school. The sun is already shining behind the dogwood tree. Finish your sandwich quickly and scurry before the sun rises above the treetops."

"Mom, I'm munching as fast as I can. I still crave for my favorite strawberries but I can no longer eat them now because of my allergy. Can I have some grapes for lunch? The teacher taught us the names of fruits yesterday."

" Your new teacher seems to be good! Hurry along now. I'll go to the vineyard and if I'm lucky enough, I might find some ripe and juicy ones...and don't forget to look for your jacket on the 'Lost and Found counter'."

Oliver scurried as fast as he could and was on the doorsteps of the School For Tots and Brats. His beady eyes were sparkling as he waited for the rest to arrive. He had been the first to arrive as always and today was the end of the month when the rewards were given. He couldn't wait to see what the teacher had planned to give him.

Cubs, fawns and ducklings all arrived and took their seats in the classroom. The teacher's table was stacked with gifts in shiny packaging. A murmur of excitement went around and everyone was sure that Oliver would bag the Punctuality Award and the High Achiever Award like he always did.

The teacher rapped smartly on her table and a hush descended in a trice. The young animals were all attentive.

Oliver beamed with pride and was almost ready with his acceptance speech. Teacher looked at them solemnly and made an announcement. 

"Food was stolen from the school pantry last evening! The cook has caught a glimpse of the culprit and it's quite shameful that it was one of you! From my class! "

Oliver whimpered as her stern voice boomed and she glowered at him. Oliver looked down hastily and waited for things to calm down. 

Who would do such a thing! A thief in our class!

Everyone in the class looked at each other with suspicion. 

And then the teacher walked up to Oliver's desk and hissed, "Oliver! Do you have anything to say? "

Gasps echoed around the classroom. Oliver looked at her sheepishly and stuttered, "No ma'am". 

What was going on! 

Why was he being questioned?

Surely not…?

"Oliver, it was you the cook saw last evening scampering out of the pantry. I ask you one more time—do you have anything to say?"

Oliver looked on, stunned! "No, ma'am! I did not steal anything from the pantry. I'm sure the cook is mistaken."


The classes were suspended for the day and the awards were locked up in the cupboard. There were sighs of disappointment and everyone threw daggers at Oliver with their pointed looks.

He could hear scathing whispers going around when everyone was gathered at the counsel under the Oak tree. 

The owl who was the president of the school stood solemnly. He called the cook onto the podium for questioning.

She said that she saw the trailing ends of Oliver's jacket as he hurriedly took off from the pantry. Oliver denied being there. It was a mystery which would take a long time to solve. There was no way Oliver could prove his innocence. 

And then, something suddenly struck him. His face brightened at the quick idea he had. If only it would work. 

"Catching a glimpse of me outside the pantry doesn't mean that I stole food. My jacket has been missing since yesterday. You have to give me a better proof than that."

Everyone was astounded with Oliver's quick wit. The teacher too looked impressed.

"Oliver's right. We need better evidence against him."

It was then that Lenny, the ferret blurted out, "Who else but Oliver has a liking for strawberries. He gorges on them all day. It's him and no one else."

"Come on to the podium, Lenny"

Lenny walked up confidently and smirked at Oliver as he stood next to him. The teacher glared at Lenny.

"Please explain how you know that it was strawberries that were stolen! I didn't mention it and neither did the cook!"

"And I've stopped eating strawberries ever since I found out I'm allergic to them!" Oliver rested his case and the class applauded him. Lenny was taken out of school for trying to frame an innocent classmate and Oliver was given a public apology. He heaved a sigh of relief at getting his good reputation back. He was also quite miserable to know that Lenny had secretly envied him enough to cause him trouble, to steal his jacket and pretend it was him...!


He staggered home with armloads of his rewards for punctuality, good conduct and high achiever, but quite disappointed at the sad turn of events and with Lenny. 

At the dining table was a piping hot grape pie waiting for him ! Mother had found some grapes at the vineyard and had bought the best and juiciest ones for her son. He gave a whoop of delight and scooped in the delicious meal.

Oliver slept soundly that night as the moon rose high over the dogwood trees and beamed at him...

Pic Courtesy:Pixabay

©️ Sangeetha Kamath 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'OWL'TASTIC

                        ' OWL' TASTIC He sits in solitude as the sun slips by Rousing from deep sleep as the moon rises high Now is his time to party and play  With a hoot of delight he's set out to catch his prey Swooping on rats and cubs of tiny critters His noiseless wings span the fields, woods and pastures Wise old owl is his title to this day Black, white or brown, they're endearing creatures so I say Keeping him as a pet is a hearts delight When they cuddle up to you in the blinding sunlight Turning his head all the way, he's powerful and elegant—an acrobat of the skies!  ©️ Sangeetha Kamath Pic Courtesy:Pixabay

FAIRY ROSE AND THE THREE WISHES (DAY 5, POST 2)

While there was no dearth of dispiriting news floating around during the pandemic, this was one unexpected blow! How deeply I was mourning the passing of my former school headmistress, even as I put one more chapter to rest in the confines of my treasured memories.  I was fortunate to have 'Sister' as my headmistress in primary school. Although I feared her greatly, I was also one of those lucky few who got to see her nurturing side. She had made it a point to give me company every evening while I waited for my father to pick me up from school, which would inevitably be long after dismissal time due to his work constraints.   We're talking of the '80s here when there were no after-school facilities in my beloved hometown. I would constantly be the lone student in the portico and it meant a lot to have an authoritarian figure looking out for my safety and well-being. I was one those painfully shy nerds who by default went into the good books of the teachers and was in th...

TAKEN (NaNoWriMo Day 8 )

                                  TAKEN  The floor boards creaked and my footsteps echoed in the vast emptiness. Shafts of moving lights filtered through a skylight from the high ceiling. In the dim murkiness, I could only see towering silhouettes. Unrecognisable. Unidentifiable. Where was I and how did I come here? Was I in an accident or had I bumped my head, lost my memory and wandered off to this abandoned structure? I only had questions and not a single answer. I felt about in my pockets for a phone. I could do with some light in here. Luck was on my side. I turned on the flashlight and saw a litter of weathered wooden crates, soggy cardboard boxes and newspapers littering the floor.  I picked one up. The print was smudged and illegible. What on earth! It seemed to be a warehouse. Paint and plaster was peeling off the walls. Where was the door? I need to get out of here! I turned my flash...

GATOS MEUS QUERIDOS

Chapter 1                    Muay The Warrior Cat Muay Thai came to be called so for the feisty and spirited little thing she was, reminiscent of the intense and energetic martial art of Muay Thai . Her bold personality inspired me to give her a name that reflected her sass and vigor. Muay Thai's antics were the stuff of legends. She was a buzz of energy, always getting into mischief and mayhem. Whether she was chasing invisible bugs, leaping over furniture like an acrobat or wrestling with toys, Muay Thai was a force to be reckoned with. Her favorite pastime was "attacking" my hands and feet, using her lightning-fast reflexes and razor-sharp teeth. It was a game she loved, and one that always left me in stitches. Despite her tough-as-nails persona, Muay Thai was also a total softie at heart. She loved nothing more than curling up in my lap and purring contentedly, her eyes gleaming with adoration before snoozing into the deepest of sl...

CHAPTER 5: THE JADE SHAMBHALA

                              CHAPTER 5                        TYPHOON OLEA The window shutters started swinging in the light breeze at first. Xiu Ying stopped eating for a heartbeat and listened intently. Down below where the garden path led to the valley roads, the trees were speaking. The wind was more intense there as it rocked the branches and she could hear faint noises of a couple of branches cracking and falling with a thud. She dropped her chopsticks and called out to Moon Glow in a panic.  "Sim bu bu! Moonie Boo! Where are you, paopei! Come to mama quick. Here girl...tch tch tch". She rattled her snack tin to get her attention even as her heart was beating outside of her chest.  Oh that idiot! where is she! Xiu was perspiring and a cold sweat ran down behind her neck.  MOON GLOW!  Out crawled a sleepy kitten from under the c...